HOW TO SUBMIT TESTIMONY ON AN ORDINANCE
WHAT IS AN ORDINANCE?
- An ordinance is a city law that can be pushed by the Mayor or City Council
- Only the City Council can take vote on an Ordinance to approve or deny it
TIPS ON PROVIDING YOUR TESTIMONY AT PUBLIC HEARINGS
- NECESSARY INFORMATION
- Start by giving City Council your name and address
- Preference is always given to Hartford residents
- YOUR MAIN POINTS
- Write bullet points/notes for yourself beforehand
- It makes giving your testimony easier as you’ll be able to make sure you get your main points across
- BE AUTHENTIC
- Share your personal story on why you’re passionate
- include it in your reason on being for or against an ordinance
- 5 MINUTES
- Each person is given 5 minutes to share their testimony
- QUESTIONS MAY BE ASKED
- Be prepared for City Council to ask you questions on your testimony. More often than not, they do not ask questions, but in the case that they do, be sure you have answers prepared.
- DO NOT COPY!
- Please be sure not to copy someone else’s testimony. More specifically when sending in written testimonies. Due to the lack of genuineness, it will discredit your testimony.
HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS?
Please email: Renato.MuguerzaCalle@hartford.gov
CAN’T ATTEND THE PUBLIC HEARING? YES WE STILL WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Submit your testimony by email to ALL Hartford City Council members & the Mayor. Their emails are below
STAY UP TO DATE
To keep up with all council meetings, committee meetings and any other events being done by city council, check out our upcoming events page here.